Details on the Skelton
This is a painting of the “Skelton” – possibly by Capt. Dixon & possibly at Trinidad. It had belonged to the Roadknight family who were passengers on it’s 1820 trip to Tasmania.
The “Skelton” was built in 1812, at Whitby in Yorkshire. The owners listed as James Son’s & Jun. and Will Dixon. Owners listed in 1825, Will Dixon of Skelton 16, James Dixon 32, and Mich. Trowsdale of Northallerton.
Ref. The ancient port of Whitby and it’s shipping by Richard Weatherill.
The “Skelton” was described as a 350 ton, (another ref. states 260 tons), single deck, three mast barque, (a sailing ship with the rear mast fore-and-aft-rigged and the remaining masts square-rigged). It was 15 feet draught, (see note on ships demise), coppered and copper fastened, (meaning it’s hull was covered with copper sheeting).
Ref. from Hobart Town Gazette 1821 & from Janet Headlam, nee Napier.
The “Skelton” arrived in Hobart from Edinburgh, Scotland, on 27th November 1820. Also arrived in Hobart on 24th December 1822, and on 8th June 1823.
Ref. from Bents Almanac & from Janet Headlam, nee Napier.
On July 30th 1828, the “Skelton”, Capt. Percy of Wy., traveling from Trinidad to London, struck on a rock 13ft under water, near Anguilla Island bearing East, distant 10 miles, and foundered. Crew saved.